• St. James Church, New Alexandria, will show the first season of the movie, “The Chosen,” from 6 to 9 p.m. Saturdays, Sept. 18 through Oct. 9 outside on the church grounds, 306 St. James Lane. Bring a lawn chair. Food will be available. In case of inclement weather, the movie will be in the church social hall. A free follow-up meeting for adults will be at 6 p.m. each Tuesday in the social hall. Registration required. Registration: stjamesnewalexandria.org or 724-668-2829
• St. James Church, New Alexandria, will host a Young Adult Ministry for those 18 to 40 years old from 6 to 7 p.m. Sept. 22 and 29 at the church, 306 St. James Lane. This will be an informal gathering to allow members of the community learn about the Catholic faith. Details: 724-668-2829
• YWCA Westmoreland County will offer beginning English as a Second Language classes from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays Oct. 15 to Dec. 16 at the office, 424 N. Main St., Greensburg. Registration required. Registration: 724-834-9390 or stop in at the office.
• Bushy Run Lions Club will hold its annual roadside broom sale from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sept. 16 to 18 in the drive-thru parking lot of S&T Bank, Route 130, Penn Township. Varieties available will include household, kids, snow, garage and push brooms.
• E.C. Cruisers Car Club will host its 27th anniversary “Cruisin’ to Help the Kids” car cruise Sept. 19 at Delmont Volunteer Fire Department, 2360 Route 66. Rain or shine. Registration will be from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and trophies will be awarded at 3:30 p.m. Classic cars, trucks and motorcycles welcome. Entry fee: $10 per vehicle. There will be a DJ, bake sale, door prizes, dash plaques, food, a basket auction and 50/50 raffle. Proceeds benefit Westmoreland Children First. Details: Sandy Gendek, 724-433-1593
• Fairview Church of God will have a rummage sale from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sept. 18 at the church, 2202-2206 Route 982, Mt. Pleasant Township.
• The Greensburg-Jeannette NAACP multi-family yard sale will be from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sept. 18 in the parking lot of the Human Service Building, 1011 Old Salem Road, Greensburg. Those attending should wear a mask and observe social distancing. Details: 724-691-2925
• A golf outing to benefit Lamp Theatre in Irwin will be Oct. 18 at Greensburg Country Club. Check-in will begin at 11 a.m. and a shotgun start will be at noon. Cost: $130 per person or $500 for a four-some. Sponsorship opportunities are available. Details and reservations: Lamptheatre.org
• Paradise United Methodist Church, 105 Hoke Road, Bullskin, will host a takeout ham and roast beef dinner from 3 to 6 p.m. Sept. 18 at the church. Menu: ham, roast beef, mashed potatoes, gravy, homemade noodles, green beans, coleslaw, applesauce, bread and butter and cake. Cost: $15; age 4 to 11, $6; 3 and younger, free. Reservations required by Sept. 15. Reservations: 724-887-6148 or Cynthia, 724-261-2566
• St. Thomas More University Parish, Indiana, Pa., will have a used book sale from 4 to 9 p.m. Sept. 17, 9 a.m. to 5:45 p.m. Sept. 18 and 10:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 19 at the church, 1200 Oakland Ave. Limited parking is available at the church. Free parking is available Sept. 18 and 19 in a garage across the street from the church. Parking fees apply Sept. 17.
• Trinity United Church of Christ, 139 N. Main St., Greensburg, will have a spaghetti dinner from 4 to 7 p.m. Sept. 21 in the downstairs church fellowship hall. Cost: $8; children, $4. Dine in or takeout. A limited number of tickets will be available at the door. Tickets: 724-834-0320.
• Unity Township American Legion will host a Rocket Comedy Club Show Sept. 25 at the post, 158 American Legion Road. The show will feature three comedians from the Steel City Comedy Tour. A cocktail hour and dinner will begin at 7 p.m. and the show begins at 8 p.m. A full menu will be available from the post kitchen. Cost: $15, includes beer and a chance in a $100 cash drawing after the show. Proceeds benefit the American Legion Housing for Homeless Veterans Corp and other post veteran charities. Tickets: 724-423-9284 or Ron McCracken, 412-600-4048
• Penn Area Library, 2001 Municipal Court, Penn Township, will sponsor a Young Artist’s Club at 6 p.m. Sept. 23 for children who are least 8 years old. The topic will be Picasso and his technique of breaking down his subjects into geometrical shapes, then reassembling the pieces. Participants will make their own 3D Picasso portrait. Registration required. Registration: 724-744-4414
• The Sept. 20 meeting of Latrobe AARP is canceled due to the current covid-19 guidelines sent down from the national organization. No future activities are scheduled.
• Greensburg College Club will meet at 7 p.m. Sept. 16 at the Greensburg Garden and Civic Center, 951 Old Salem Road. Retired Marine Kenneth Serfass will present a program on Ulysses S. Grant. Public welcome.
• Level Green Seniors will meet at 11 a.m. Sept. 16 at the Level Green Lions Community Building, 123 Murrysville Road, Penn Township. Lunch menu: ham and cheese, potato salad and dessert. Entertainment will be by 2 G Guys. New members welcome. Details: Mary, 412-372-5422
• Rostraver Sportmen’s Association will meet at 7:30 p.m. Sept. 20 at the club, 539 Cedar Creek Road, Rostraver Township. Membership applications from men and women welcome. Details: 724-984-6611 or rostraversca.org
• Cub Scout Packs 307 and 213 will host a recruiting night for children in kindergarten through fifth grade at 7 p.m. Sept. 16 at Emmanuel Reformed United Church of Christ, 3618 Hills Church Road, Export. Activities will include use of a BB gun range, weather permitting. Details: Ben Collamer, 724-882-7250 or Terry Snyder, 412-807-1341, or visit BeAScout.org to register online
Submissions from nonprofit organizations for Briefly Speaking can be emailed to [email protected] Include a complete address and daytime phone number. Submissions are due at least two weeks prior to the event. Each announcement is printed once; there is no fee.
#Westmoreland #news #golf #outing #comedy #show #Cub #Scout #recruitment #night