| Delaware News Journal
Child saves younger sibling from Glasgow-area fire, elderly woman seriously injured
State fire officials are crediting a 7-year-old boy with saving his younger sibling after their Glasgow-area home caught fire Thursday afternoon.
Delaware News Journal
Two locals — a 7-year-old boy and a former deputy chief with Christiana Fire Company — are being hailed for their heroic actions in saving two residents from a burning home near Glasgow Thursday afternoon.
According to state fire officials, smoke detectors alerted the boy to the fire around 1 p.m., prompting him to call 911. The boy was able to get a younger sibling, who was in a second-floor bedroom, out of the house before trying to save a 91-year-old woman who lived in the home.
As the boy was trying to save the woman, former Christiana Fire Deputy Chief Larry “Bub” arrived at the Rice Drive home, a Christiana Fire Facebook post said.
Duhadaway, who served as deputy chief from 1997 to 2007 and remains on the department’s board of directors, had been in the area when radio dispatch alerted first responders to the blaze.
Though he did not have any protective gear with him, he “got down low at the front door and looked under the smoke” to see if he could spot the woman. When he saw her feet 10 to 15 feet inside, he ran in to save her.
The woman, who was badly injured, had collapsed in the home, Christiana Fire Company said.
Duhadaway brought the woman to the front yard, where New Castle County police, paramedics and EMTs performed basic and advanced life support on her. Paramedics took her Christiana Hospital, and she was later transferred to Jefferson Hospital in Philadelphia for further treatment.
Firefighters from several departments were able to extinguish the fire, though not before it caused extensive damage to the back of the house. The state fire marshal’s office said the blaze was caused by a malfunction in a pellet stove in an enclosed porch.
The fire displaced several other people who lived at the home. They are staying with family, the fire marshal’s office said.
Send story tips or ideas to Isabel Hughes at [email protected] or 302-324-2785. For all things breaking news, follow her on Twitter at @izzihughes_
#Child #saves #sibling #burning #home #calls